One of the things that I find important in this second lockdown is the simple act of getting ready for each day with optimism. Obviously it’s not easy, feeling in Groundhog Day as we all do, but getting made up is such a welcome way of a little “uplift” for the soul. And I’ve been raiding my make up for glowy products that make me look like I am healthy and refreshed even if it’s the last thing I feel. So here are those products with that magic “golden halo” effect – even if you haven’t just jetted back from the Bahamas (um I mean – who has?). The following innovative, super effective face and body products are those that mimic the effects of sun, sea and sand but are less about being bronzed and more about looking like the best, most relaxed version of you.
20 SUPERIOR “GET YOUR GLOW ON” PRODUCTS
SUBTLE FAKE TAN FOR FACE:
- St Tropez Bronzing Water Face Mist in Purity £33.00 Boots.com: spray this over or under make up for a stealthily increasing day-on-day easy breezy bronze effect: no effort required.
- Tanluxe Superglow Hyaluronic Self Tan Serum £35.00 spacenk.com: this is a two-for-one in that it keeps your skin gorgeously plump and hydrated whilst bestowing aforementioned glow.
- Isle of Paradise tanning drops £18.95 cultbeauty.co.uk: These products are colour coded depending on the level of tan you would like: amazingly accurate result guaranteed!
BODY PRODUCTS THAT TAN & ADD MOISTURE
- St Tropez Everday Miracle Body Lotion Watermelon infusion £14.50 Boots.com A lovely rich moisturiser that smells divine, it adds a totally natural looking colour that builds pleasingly with each use and doesn’t douse sheets in colour.
- Beauty Pie Awesome Bronze Super Formula no streak self tanning mousse £12.38 beautypie.com Easy to apply and idiot proof, hurrah!
- Dua Lipa and Sienna Miller are fans of tan expert Amanda Harrington’s new approach to application. She avocates “painting on” tan with a brush rather than a mitt, allowing you to shade certain areas more deeply than others which works particularly well with contouring your own curves and drawing attention away from those pesky problem thigh areas! Brush £55.00 (buy once keep forever) and Body Mousse £36.00 spacenk.com.
- DIOR Bronze Liquid Sun Self-Tanning Water 100ml £40.50 at Escentual.com
This new Dior Bronze self-tanning mist diffuses evenly for a silky finish on the skin that doesn’t transfer onto clothing, so you can wear your favourite skirt without blemish, perfect for pins.
MAKE UP MARVELS FOR ALL SKIN TONES:
There are some great glowy products that work on all skin shades including:
- MAC Strobe Cream £25.00 johnlewis.com Put this runway favourite anywhere you fancy – and apply with a sponge to larger areas like the decolletage using its tip for harder to reach areas like under the eye and the sides of the nose Blending Beauty Blender Makeup Sponge£4.99 superdrug.com.
- Bobbi Brown Shimmer Bricks £36.00 johnlewis.com. An oldie but a goodie – this was launched 19 years ago – to great acclaim. Made in Italy, Shimmer Brick’s unique baking process begins in a machine similar to that of a pasta maker. It contains pigments and sheer light reflective pearls, that are aligned in strips then cut, pressed, dried, put back together and baked in an oven. Recipe for success we say! Anoint any area with this pearly finish.
- Fenty Match Stix Shimmer sticks £10.95 amazon.co.uk. This has a special place in every make up artist’s stash. Makes eyes look alive in an instant – just pop on the inner corner right beside each side of your nose.
- Hourglass Metallic Strobe Lighting Palette, £58 feelunique.com Using unique photoluminescent technology, this palette contains three very different but very flattering shades that can be used wet or dry depending on the level of intensity required and is so lightweight it’s effortless to apply. Pop it on cheekbones, forehead, down the bridge of your nose and above your cupid’s bow for a prompt Glamazon effect.
- Foundation: Chanel Les beiges Eu de Teint in Light £48.00 johnlewis.com. This gives a really delicate coverage and it’s super hydrating, no one will know you are wearing it, you just look really rested.
- Benefit Hoola Lite Bronzer £27 boots.com Does what is says on the tin: ie you can build a light bronze with this delicate powder which has foolproof application.
- Delilah Sunset Compact Matte Bronzer in Light Medium £34.00 delilahcosmetics.com this delightful compact is worth a mention as it’s a new brand that provides glide on colour that is easy to manage and build up without looking panda like!
HONEY TONED SKIN:
- Guerlain Terracotta The Bronzing Powder Shade 3 £37.03 www.amazon.co.uk A large compact that lasts and lasts imparting perfectly natural honey tones to forehead, cheekbones and neck area.
- NARS Laguna Powder £29.99 amazon.co.uk A brand so famous for its superior powder formulations for good reason – this is easy to blend while making you look “alive” in the process.
- Fenty Cheeks Out Freestyle Cream Bronzer £19.00 boots.com Fenty founder, Rihanna is a gal who knows what’s what make-up wise and this bronzer works over foundation or solo to give that refreshed Bahamian vibe.
- Nuxe Huile Prodigieuse Florale Multi purpose Dry Oil for Face, Body, Hair £18.50 cultbeauty.com This literally smells of summer flowers and is great for a bit of luxe limb action – adds shine on arms, legs, and even smooths hair into the bargain.
EYES & LIPS
- Eyes: A super highlighter and eyeshadow in one: Tropic Skincare Way to Glow Pressed highlighter in Rose Gold and Spring £16.00 tropicskincare.com is part of a genius customisable and refillable DIY palette which adds luminescence to your complexion. The darker shade (Rose Gold) gives an overall sunkissed glow which can be swept across eyes (glowy but not too shimmery) and the Spring Lily is a lighter pink for cheeks and cupid’s bow. For added drama for eyes try The Surratt Auto Graphique Eyeliner £40.00 spacenk.com. It has a lash hugging fine pen but best of all you can change the colour cartridge to suit the changing seasons. Soft brown and purple suit brown, blue and green eyes.
- Lips: Use a hyaluronic acid lip pencil in order to volumise and plump lips first, try The Organic Pharmacy Hyaluronic Lip Pencil £19.00 then apply the Volumising Liquid Lipstick in Pink £22.00 theorganicpharmacy.com for a fresh fruity sun kissed look that immediately lifts the complexion.
TAN EXPERT AMANDA HARRINGTON 4 TIPS ON HOW TO GET A “LIT FROM WITHIN GLOW”.
Always work with your natural skin tone rather than against it. Traditional formulas come in light, medium and dark which simply varies in the DHA – tanning agent- percentages, so customers often think that dark is better. By applying a tan that is suited to your skin tone it will look much more true to how you might tan naturally and fade forgivingly.
Bin the mitt. Not only are they loaded with germs, they don’t deliver bang for your buck. Gloves are a great way to move product over your body evenly without waste and a brush helps minimise the transfer of excess product onto clothes and sheets.
A gradual facial and body tan is a perfect way to enhance your usual skincare routine with a light dose of colour. You can build up daily as you become more confident using it, or alternate days for something much more natural.
A mousse formulation is perfect for a larger surface area such as the body and a mist is always beautiful for the face as it is lightweight enough to wear underneath make up, and topped up every couple of days to maintain a natural colour.
Love Jane x