Beauty communications expert and new F Club contributor Genevieve Nikolopulos always looks incredibly chic, so we’ve asked her to share her style secrets for the holiday season!
As the festive season approaches fast, before we know it we are faced with velvet, glitter and sequins at every turn. I’ve always been partial to a bit of glitter and sparkle, but as the years progress, I’m having to find ways of staying stylish while still being able to shimmer my way through Christmas and new year. So here are the top five sparkles I will be embracing this month;
- I wear eyeshadow with a touch of sparkle all year round, but during December I like to vamp it up. I bought my first Charlotte Tilbury pallet (£39) a few weeks ago – mainly for an evening smoky eye look, but the amazing part of this, is the glitter shade (bottom left) can actually be applied over any eyeshadow. I think they call it ‘pop’ so that you can literally pop it over anything with your finger and it’s fabulous! This palette is The Rock Chick (price/stockist). My other recent festive eyeshadow purchase is from the Bobbie Brown range of Sparke Eye Shadows. I chose Ballet Pink – and I first spotted this on the F-Club’s Marie Louise who was literally twinkling away – I had to have it! This is fabulous for during the day either over a primer or a nude base colour to give it more depth
- Lurex fashion really comes into its own at Christmas and I think at 50+ there is no reason we can ‘t wear it – but just need to be a little careful. There are some amazing knits around this year. Whistles always do lurex really well and the colours are gorgeous. My favourite buy however, this year, is a green Lurex sweater from H&M. At £29 I will definitely get my monies worth on price per wear.
- Nails are a great way of adding festive sparkle to your look every day without over-doing it. I tend to get a gel manicure mid-December in my favourite glitter shade which will then take me through all the parties up to Christmas Day. My favourite is OPI My Favourite Ornament which is also available in polish. House of Fraser £12.50
- I work from home, so tend to spend my days in very comfy sloppy clothing. I am rather addicted to slipper socks – as let’s face it – who wants to wear boots or even slippers all day round the house. I found these amazing sparkly striped ones from Somerville online – which make me smile every time I look down at my feet. £19 www.somervillescarves.com
- Last but by no means least, there are an abundance of sequin shoes out there at Christmas and as much as I love them – I do have to be a bit careful not to overdo it and look like the fairy at the top of the tree. I found the perfect ankle boots from And Other Stories which are so fab as you can wear them during the day and it’s only when you turn around that the silver stars and glitter catch the eye. They’re a great height and so extremely comfortable – and elegant shape too. £125